my absolute favorite decadent treat from starbucks is hands-down their banana chocolate chip coffee cake. it’s amazing. sadly, a couple weeks ago I ordered a slice and was told they no longer carry it. this is a borderline day ruiner. but I took it as an opportunity ..to bake. and re-create the recipe in my own kitchen.
I am happy to say my peanut butter banana coffee cakes are gluten-free, butter-free, cupcake-sized. and oh so scrumptious.
add: 1/2 cup brown sugar & 1 tbsp ground cinnamon.
in a plastic bag, combine: 1/2 cup chopped nuts & 1 cup chocolate. [I used 1/2 cup of each reese’s pieces & chocolate chips for my chocolate]. and then take out your aggression!
your streusel is complete. set aside.
now in a different bowl, combine dry ingredients.
1 1/2 cup corn flour [or all-purpose flour]. 3/4 tsp baking soda. 3/4 tsp baking powder. 1/4 tsp salt.
now for the wet ingredients.
combine: 3/4 cup sugar. 1 egg. 1 cup greek yogurt [I used almond creme flavor]. 1 tbsp peanut butter.
until mixed completely.
use 3 very ripe bananas. mash up! & add to wet ingredients.
if you do not have buttermilk [like me] – use approx. 1/4 cup of milk & add 2 tbsp lemon juice.
add dry mix to wet mix.
the name of the game is layering. [batter, streusel, batter, & lastly streusel]. don’t over-fill. I may have.
my oven tends to be on the slower side. and my coffee cakes were done in 22 minutes.
if the toothpick comes out clean ..they’re done!!
let cool approximately 10 minutes before devouring. orrr the way I like them, cooled completely. usually I like my baked goods warm & gooey. but for some strange reason, these are best served cold.
makes approximately 12 [cupcake-sized] coffee cakes.
- 1 cup chocolate chips [I used 1/2 reese’s pieces + 1/2 cup chocolate chips]
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts [I used pecans]
- 1 tbspn ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup corn flour [or all-purpose flour]
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup greek yogurt [I used almond creme flavor]
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/3 cups mashed [very ripe] bananas. approximately 3 bananas.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk [or milk + lemon juice for a substitute].
- preheat oven to 350°F. place cupcake liners in cupcake tin.
- make the streusel – combine chocolate chips and/or reese’s pieces, brown sugar, chopped nuts, and cinnamon. mix well. and set aside.
- in a different bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. sift. and set aside.
- in a different bowl, combine wet ingredients: sugar, 1 egg, greek yogurt, and peanut butter. mix well. add mashed bananas & buttermilk. combine!
- add dry ingredients to wet ingredients – & blend well.
- layer into the muffin tin – batter, streusel, batter, & top with streusel.
- bake in oven 18-25 minutes. [my oven tends to be slower, & took 22 minutes].
- let cool completely. or 10 minutes if you can’t wait. and ..