allow me to set the scene ..
I’ve spent a good chunk of the day cleaning my place. the other part pretty much just throwing ingredients into crock pots + bowls. the puppy bowl is on, and I’m trying my darnedest not to get too distracted by the television. there is a party to execute. my goal is to have an abundance of scrumptious food + beverages for my guests, without spending too much time in the kitchen + too much money out of my wallet. the finished product ..
• beer + wine are party staples. you can’t beat trader joe’s for wine; get a red + a white. when it comes to the beer I serve during the super bowl, it’s budweiser products. purely because they have the best commercials. seriously.
• for the signature cocktail, set up a whiskey moscow mule station. your guests can help themselves and you maximize your time spent enjoying the party.
• appetizers can be tricky, but don’t let them stump you. stick to the classics. it is a football party after all.
• for the main course, a sloppy joe bar. it can be hard to cook for a group of people. because chances are their taste buds vary. pick a comfort food staple + offer topping options. let your guests build their own sandwich.
• odds are you will have a few guests that aren’t the biggest football fans, I believe they can be persuaded. offer them a super bowl inspired bingo game board and a bowl of these
candy bingo markers ..and you’ve got yourself a fan. need a prize for the winner? how about a 6-pack of a local brew or a whiskey moscow mule kit?
now you have the formula for an easily executed super bowl party.
let’s just hope the NFL + the patriots get the deflated ball situation figured out. I’d hate for that to put a damper on my festivities. tom brady must play.
if he doesn’t, what will I look at? joke.
and for those of you in denial, february 1st is only
a bit over 1 week away.
after hearing 10
great reasons to host a super bowl party.. decision made! I’m throwing a super bowl party. I know what my guests are going to drink + eat. but to keep their interest during the football game ..I needed an idea.
this game day bingo is genius. it will keep everyone’s attention. and brings the competition right into your living room. [unless I’m playing with someone over 80, I refuse to lose in bingo]. sheknows.com has 4 bingo cards for you to print + distribute to your guests as they arrive.
for the entertainment, just print your game boards + set a dish of
candies bingo markers on the tables. [I used fruit vines. the trick is not eating all of them before bingo starts]. add fresh flowers to bring a bit of femininity into the traditionally testosterone-filled holiday.
almost friday thursday everyone.
I’ve shared the perfect signature cocktail + main course for your super bowl party, now I will try to convince you to actually have one. we’re calling this ..
10 reasons to throw a super bowl party.
*in my honest + personal opinion.
1. to have a valid + great reason to cook +
devour enjoy a whole spread of “comfort” food [aka: foods you shouldn’t eat daily. or so they say].
2. to piggy back on #1, little smokies!! [or cocktail sausage, whichever you prefer]. just two ingredients and a crock pot – have you met an easier appetizer? *don’t forget the toothpicks.
3. to watch the puppy bowl + kitty halftime show on animal planet with other humans. which will obviously fill your living room with “awe’s” and the desire in each of your guests to add another furbaby to their families.
4. dressing up is not required. this is one party you’ll casually host in a tee shirt. sign me up.
5. a good reason to have a cocktail party with your friends. bonus: scheduled entertainment.
6. you need someone(s) to discuss the good, bad, and ugly commercials with. [I’m partial to the budwesier commercials; using cute puppies in ad campaigns is brilliant].
7. a great way to finally peer-pressure + trick yourself into cleaning your place. [we all know post-holidays winter hibernation is a real thing].
8. left-overs, left-overs, left-overs!! [this does not exclude the adult beverages].
9. so you have people to talk to + keep you entertained while you’re waiting for the
commercials football game to come back on.
so ..have I convinced you?